Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 3


Today I needed to finish up my Farmer’s Market project, so I went to Maple Valley Farmer’s Market. This is a relatively new market at about 2 years old. I was talking to one of the people who were selling produce, she was an old woman who sold only local produce much like to guy at Pike Place. But unlike to Pike Place stall, this woman had only two things that she was selling (strawberries and tomatoes) and she said that she had grown them herself.

This showed me the problems of scale that we discussed in class, and the plastic definition of the word local.
It was really warm today and the woman selling tomatoes had a sign in her stall that read “Global Warming, Finally” which made me think that the need for seasonal and local produce is not tied to political beliefs but rather everyone needs this type of diet because of several aspects.
This is a woman who makes flavored pasta in her kitchen, i was lucky enough to find my "cheat" item with local origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment