I ate the same cherries and yogurt that I had been for the week. This morning as I was packing lunch and eating a salad for breakfast, I realized that I didn’t really have a problem with eating local, it was eating seasonal that I was having difficulty with. I have been so conditioned to this global food market that the idea of eating leafy greens for breakfast to me seemed “wrong.” There is very little traditional breakfast food with the food shed that I live in, because of this I would most likely choose foods outside of my locality for the fist meal of the day. I couldn’t imagine doing this project in the winter or late fall, the foods that would be locally available would be so limited I would not be able to stay with in food shed.
Today for dinner I cooked some local spaghetti with ground beef and tomatoes. I was amazed at how “real” my food looked. The whole grain pasta, tomato chunks and the lean ground beef seemed so much more natural then the artificially red pasta sauce with fat laden meat on almost snow-white noodles. This comparison of the natural to the artificial was astonishing when seen side-by-side.
No comments:
Post a Comment