Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 4

I went to Carpinito farms this morning. They sell mostly local produce, which they grow themselves. Through talking with the people at the produce stand I got a lot of information on the way they are both economically productive. They employ 250+ farm workers, who they pay at about $10 an hour. Although I thought this was low for the strenuous work that these workers are doing, I was also surprised because this is a much higher wage then the vast majority that most farm workers get.

I have also noticed that most of the South County produce locations that I’ve been to also have plants, this is much different then the farmer’s markets in Seattle. (This is my neighbor who i was baby-sitting today) This abundance of plants allows for the Local Food movement to be put into gardens, rather then needing to run to the store. I suspect that this is because of the amount of land available in South King County

The spinach that Carpinito’s sells, which is organic (although not certified), local and freshly harvested is only ¢75.

No comments:

Post a Comment